Just like his father, Draco loved to hate on Muggles. He took particular pleasure in taunting Hermione Granger, who just happened to have Muggle parents. Malfoy called her ‘Mudblood’, a very grave insult referring to a wizard or witch born to non-magic parents.
Here are some of his most searing stabs at Muggle-born wizards...
1. ‘I really don’t think they should let the other sort in, do you? They’re just not the same, they’ve never been brought up to know our ways. Some of them have never even heard of Hogwarts until they get the letter, imagine. I think they should keep it in the old wizarding families.’
2. The smug look on Malfoy’s face flickered. ‘No one asked your opinion, you filthy little Mudblood,’ he spat.
3. ‘Granger, they’re after Muggles,’ said Malfoy. ‘D’you want to be showing off your knickers in midair? Because if you do, hang around... they’re moving this way, and it would give us all a laugh.’
4. ‘…Father actually considered sending me to Durmstrang rather than Hogwarts, you know. He knows the headmaster, you see. Well, you know his opinion of Dumbledore – the man’s such a Mudblood-lover – and Durmstrang doesn’t admit that sort of riffraff.’
5. ‘Want one, Granger?’ said Malfoy, holding out a badge to Hermione. ‘I’ve got loads. But don’t touch my hand, now. I’ve just washed it, you see, don’t want a Mudblood sliming it up.’
6. ‘Too late now, Potter! They’ll be the first to go, now the Dark Lord’s back! Mudbloods and Muggle-lovers first!’
7. ‘The Inquisitorial Squad, Granger,’ said Malfoy, pointing toward a tiny silver ‘I’ upon his robes just beneath his prefect’s badge. ‘A select group of students who are supportive of the Ministry of Magic, hand-picked by Professor Umbridge. Anyway, members of the Inquisitorial Squad do have the power to dock points… So, Granger, I’ll have five from you for being rude about our headmistress… Oh yeah, I forgot, you’re a Mudblood, Granger, so ten for that…’
8. ‘If you’re wondering what the smell is, Mother, a Mudblood just walked in,’ said Draco Malfoy.