1. When Hagrid burst through the door
We knew this was a book about wizards, but we somehow did not expect this ‘giant arrives on island’ narrative arc.
2. When Harry was rescued by Firenze in the forest
Unicorns, hooded vampires and centaurs? Oh my!
3. When Quirrell took his turban off
WE KNEW HE WAS DODGY!
4. When Harry and Ron flew the Weasleys’ car to Hogwarts
Most mums would have done a lot worse than send a Howler.
5. When we found out Tom Riddle was Voldemort
This guy just doesn’t quit.
6. When Lockhart was exposed as a fraud
Lies! All lies!
7. When Dobby was freed
8. When we found out Peter Pettigrew was Scabbers
9. And that Sirius Black was good
10. And that Lupin was a werewolf
11. And, yeah. Basically the whole last 80 pages of Prisoner of Azkaban
So. Many. Reveals.
12. When Harry’s name was pulled out of the Goblet of Fire
Look, the book’s title is a giveaway…
13. When Hermione entered the Yule Ball with Viktor Krum
Plot twist. Love it.
14. When Harry told Amos Diggory about his son’s death
These are real tears.
15. When Dolores Umbridge made Harry use her quill
Is this a school subject or medieval torture?
16. When Harry saw the backstory between his father and Snape in his Occlumency lesson
This explains so much…
17. When Dumbledore lied about Dumbledore’s Army being all his idea
What a hero.
18. When you found out that ‘neither can live while the other survives’
Well, this is awkward.
19. When Snape made the Unbreakable Vow to help Draco
Woah. That’s dark, even for you Snape.
20. The Ron Weasley-Lavender Brown romance
Ron is basically just a mess of hormones and red hair throughout Half-Blood Prince.
21. When you found out Snape was the Half-Blood Prince
And kind of realised that he… wasn’t pure evil?
22. When Ron reappeared at the lake at the Forest of Dean
23. When Ron and Hermione kiss
WE DID OUR WAITING!
24. When Mrs Weasley took on Bellatrix
25. When you emerged covered in sweat and tears after a 12-hour reading session with an incredible sense of closure
And immediately resolved to call one of your children Albus Severus.